“ Your lab is one of the few certified to run Naturxan Aquasta analyses in Europe. The reference sample analysis will now be part of the procedure. This will promote your excellent analytical service at the highest level ”
- ADM Specialty Ingredients
Over the past few years the Nutrition Analytical Service (NAS), which forms part of the Institute of Aquaculture - University of Stirling, has been implementing a quality management system consistent with the requirements set out in ISO/IEC 17025:2005 ‘General requirements for the competence of testing and calibration laboratories’. The implementation of this system provides assurance of the accuracy, precision and reliability of the laboratory results generated by NAS.
The Nutrition Analytical Service recognises the benefit to its customers of achieving formal recognition by an independent third party and for this reason NAS is committed to achieving accreditation from the United Kingdom Accreditation Service (UKAS). To expedite this process NAS is being assisted by the T&S International Training and Consultancy Partnership to ensure the implemented system is not only compliant with the requirements of the standard but also delivers a reliable service to its customers.
One key part of meeting the requirements of ISO/IEC 17025 and attaining UKAS accreditation is the participation in appropriate inter-laboratory comparisons such as formal proficiency testing schemes or ring trials. A list of inter-laboratory comparisons in which NAS participates can be found on the following pages and details of participation can be supplied on request.
James R Dick
Technical Manager of Nutrition Analytical Service, Institute of Aquaculture
Current participation in ring tests applicable to work conducted for customers.
- Annual Deutsche Gesellschaft fur Fettwissenschaft e.V. (DGF ring test organised by the European Lipid Federation; Lipid proficiency test). Conducted since 2007 for the following analyses; Peroxide and anisidine values; alpha, beta, gamma and delta tocopherols, total tocopherol and vitamin E content. Fatty acid analysis of oils for 23 fatty acids.
- AOCS Laboratory Proficiency Series for Fatty Acid Profile. This involves the analysis of 8 samples for fatty acid profile over a calendar year. At the end of the proficiency series a comprehensive final report is produced and a ranking score for the laboratory analysis provided. NAS now has AOCS approved chemist status as of 2014.
- Annual ring test organised by Masterlab Analytical Services BV and compares laboratory performance in 20 analytical methods used routinely in the fish feed, oil, fish producing and food technology sectors. The test is conducted annually and includes more than 30 labs worldwide. Copies of the comprehensive report are available on request.
- Annual dioxin ring test organised by the Norwegian Institute for Public Health, conducted since 2006. The analysis of the 17 dioxins and furans plus 12 dioxin-like PCBs assigned WHO TEF values plus 10 PBDE congeners in various, mostly fish related matrices.
- Analysis of carotenoid pigments; This involves 3 different ring tests as follows;
- The DSM/Roche Ring test conducted annually since 2004. This involves the analysis of samples for Astaxanthin products
- The quality tests organised by IGENE for the analysis of the Aquasta/Phaffia product. NAS was one of 5 labs in Europe that were accredited for this analysis by ADM/Igene in 2008.
- Annual ring test is being co-ordinated by the JX Oil and Energy Group for the Panaferd product. Analysis will include raw material, flesh and feeds. The JX Oil and Energy Group, Japan certify us to conduct this method in Europe. The methodology is currently being verified and validated by the European Union Reference Laboratory (EURL) in conjunction with JX Oil and Energy Group, Japan and the Nutrition Analytical Service, University of Stirling, Scotland.
- Annual dioxin and PCB proficiency test on the determination of PCDD/Fs and PCBs in Animal Feed organised by the European Union Reference Laboratory for Dioxins and PCBs.